Being Tall Gets You Advantages – It Could Also Get You Covid-19!
I've always been tall. I'm 6' 3 1/2 " and the CDC says the average American male is five feet nine inches tall.
Being tall has always been associated with certain built in or built up advantages - as enumerated in this instance by the Huffington Post.
1. Tall people may be smarter. - A 2014 University of Edinburgh study found there was a small correlation between height and higher IQs.
3. You might be more successful.
4. Tall individuals may be paid more at work.
5. You might be less likely to have dementia.
6. You’re at a lower risk for heart disease.
7. Tall people are happier. : Tall individuals report more positive emotions than shorter ones, according to a 2008 study. Those with a greater stature were also less likely to report feelings of anger and sadness.
8. You might be more productive.
9. You’re seen as more confident....just to name a few....Check out the article ...so I guess you could call it "tall privilege", that is until the Coronavirus comes knocking.
It turns out tall people might be more likely to contract COVID-19. Data from 2,000 people in the U.S. and the U.K. shows that men over 6-feet tall were twice as likely to be diagnosed with the virus.
The Daily Mail reports that women the same height also faced higher odds, but there were so few in the study the result about them is not considered reliable.
So how does this happen? Scientists say the findings do not necessarily mean that taller people are somehow more genetically prone to the virus, but it could be a sign that the virus is spread through tiny particles in the air that linger after being exhaled. They note that tall people would not be at higher risk if the virus was spread through sneezing or coughing, which produce larger droplets that fall to the ground more quickly.
Earlier this month World Health Organization scientists admitted there is “evidence emerging” that the Coronavirus can be spread through the air.
Though the paper has yet to be peer reviewed, the authors wanted to reveal their findings for consideration during the debate over aerosol transmission.
For the record, the Netherlands has the tallest citizens with the average Dutch man standing 5 ft 11.9 inches tall.