Pullman Police Already Facing Backlash Over Mask Violation Enforcement
Besides announcing Pullman Police will be enforcing mask mandates, the Pullman Proclamation also reads as follows:
"Violations involving WSU students will be reported to the WSU Center for Community Standards. WSU may take action in addition to any criminal or civil process.
Business violations are not handled by local law enforcement. To report a business that is not following the proclamation, complete the report form provided by the State."
The Pullman Police Department is already getting a wave of pushback from citizens over an announcement they will be enforcing Gov. Inslee's mask mandates with penalties.
Wednesday August 19, the Department posted this on their Facebook page, which in part said:
"As WSU Pullman students return to the City of Pullman, Pullman PD reminds our community members to adhere to all current proclamations regarding health and safety in the State of Washington. While we have been working educate our residents and visitors about these requirements over the past few months, those who violate Governor Inslee's orders may be at risk for criminal/civil penalties. WSU student violations will be reported to the WSU Center for Community Standards, and may result in additional consequences."
The city also issued a proclamation that lists the following instances when civil and even criminal type penalties could be handed out:
"Pullman Officers will be enforcing the following:
- Individual violating a proclamation requirement (facemask, social distancing; RCW 43.06.220(5))
- Gross misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $5,000 and/or 365 days jail
- Individual violating an order issued by local or State Board of Health, or by local health official (facemask, social distancing; RCW 70.05.120(4))
- Misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $100 and/or 90 days jail
- Person allowing a party or gathering with attendees not in compliance with facemask or social distancing requirements, or gatherings of more than 10 people (Pullman City Code 5.05.060)
- Class 2 Civil infraction punishable by a $250 fine; $350 fine for subsequent violations
- Failure to disperse a party/gathering as described above
- Misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $100 and/or 90 days jail (RCW 9A.84.020)"
Some of the comments already appearing on their Facebook page included:
- "Do not appreciate being presented with threats that are not laws. I highly support law enforcement and the Constitution."
- "Inslee was sued and they are suggestions not orders"
- "Are you issuing new jack boots with those proclamations?"
- "I mean, I wear a mask..but legally, there is no way to hold people accountable for this. Not worth getting the department sued especially in times like this over the little things. People already have been hating the PD’s in America, let’s not give them a reason to by enforcing fake laws."
To see the Pullman Proclamation for yourself, click on the button below.