The Weird & Fascinating History of Necco Wafers!
There was an article online saying Necco Wafers are one of America's LEAST favorite Halloween candy. That surprised me -- I think they taste like childhood! I still like them. Sugar is sugar! But I never see them for sale outside of Halloween so I decided to look it up. Check it out!
- Necco stands for New England Confectionery Company
- They've been in production since 1847
- They were a popular treat with Civil War soldiers
- Every package contains the same 8 flavors
- The name hasn't changed in 100 years!
- In 2009 the formula was changed to allow more natural flavors and sweeteners
- Because of massive protests, the formula was CHANGED BACK in 2011!