With soaring summertime temperatures expected into the high 90's later this week, now is a good time for a reminder from WebMD.com.

Hot water in garden hoses that have been left in the sun can cause severe burns. Las Vegas fire officials issued the warning after a nine-month old baby suffered second-degree burns on 30 percent of his body after being sprayed with scalding water from a hose heated by the sun.

A garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children and animals. If you plan on spraying people or animals with a hose this time of year, remember to let it run for a few moments to allow the cool water to flow through entire length of the hose.

Of course Washington is not Las Vegas, and this is an extreme example, but it is still worth taking note.

More From 102.7 KORD