‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ Is Fandango’s Most Anticipated Movie of 2017
When it comes to online movie polls, which ones do you think the public is usually most excited for: little indie pictures or huge superhero/sci-fi/fantasy blockbusters? Spoiler alert— it’s the blockbusters. Shocking, I know. In Fandango’s year-end poll of the most anticipated movies of 2017, Star Wars: Episode VIII, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and the live-action Beauty and the Beast took the top spots.
Episode VIII getting first place comes as no surprise, as Star Wars fever peaked yet again this year with he release of Rogue One. And next year’s trip to a galaxy far, far away isn’t a standalone anthology film: we’ll be back with Finn, Rey, Poe, and Kylo Ren again, after leaving them in 2015 to figure out what to do with the remains of the First Order and whether or not Luke Skywalker will take that lightsaber back. Guardians Vol. 2 is another highly anticipated sequel, as the first movie provided a welcome change from the formulaic, monochrome Marvel movies we’d all come to expect.
Beauty and the Beast holding its own amongst the rest of these superhero movies seems like a bit of an outlier, but if we’ve learned one thing over the years it’s that Disney fans are unstoppable. And unlike other live-action remakes of the cartoon classics, this one looks like it’s staying true to all the parts of the original 1991 movie that made it great. Wonder Woman weighs in at Number 4 on the list ahead of Justice League (because, let’s be frank, it already looks way better). Fifty Shades Darker also makes the list, probably half because of actual fans of the films, and half because of people like the rest of us who are planning to go with a huge group of our friends after a few drinks just to see what all this madness is really about.
Unsurprisingly, the most anticipated films list also predicted the most anticipated actors. Daisy Ridley, Emma Watson, and Jennifer Lawrence are the top three most anticipated actresses, while Chris Pratt, Dwayne Johnson, and Hugh Jackman are the actors audiences are most excited for. Idris Elba also gets a nod for Thor: Ragnarok, Molly’s Game, and The Dark Tower.
Below, check out the full list (via Variety) and get excited for the new year!
Most Anticipated Movie:
1. “Star Wars: Episode VIII”
2. “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”
3. Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast”
4. “Wonder Woman”
5. “Spider-Man: Homecoming”
6. “Justice League”
7. “The Fate of the Furious”
8. “Fifty Shades Darker”
10. “Despicable Me 3”
Most Anticipated Actress:
1. Emma Watson (“Beauty and the Beast,” “The Circle”)
2. Daisy Ridley (“Star Wars: Episode VIII,” “Murder on the Orient Express”)
3. Jennifer Lawrence (“Red Sparrow,” “Untitled Darren Aronofsky Project”)
4. Halle Berry (“Kingsman: The Golden Circle,” “Kidnap”)
5. Charlize Theron (“The Fate of the Furious,” “The Coldest City,” “Tully”)
Most Anticipated Actor:
1. Chris Pratt (“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”)
2. Dwayne Johnson (“Jumanji,” “The Fate of the Furious,” “Baywatch”)
3. Hugh Jackman (“Logan,” “The Greatest Showman”)
4. Idris Elba (Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower,” “Thor: Ragnarok,” “Molly’s Game”)
5. Chris Hemsworth (“Thor: Ragnarok”)