English Words Foreigners Hate Saying — This List Is a Guaranteed Smile
Growing up we all had trouble pronouncing certain words: magazine, specifically, ridiculous, etc. But what if English was your SECOND language? Here are the top words ESL folks just can't handle. If you don't laugh out loud I can at least GUARANTEE a smile or your money back!
- I speak czech and the word "quick" never seems to stop fascinating me because in my language it is the sound a pig makes.
- Miscellaneous: Mishelanoos? Miskelanejus? Misc and angle juice?
- First language was German. I found the word gift interesting, as the German word for poison is spelled the same. "There's Christmas poison under the tree!"
- My friend from Switzerland adores the word "bubble". She pronounces it "BAHHH-bul"
- My German cousin instead of saying "the bomb” she would always say, "watch out for da bomba" (like in a video game). Or in a movie when a time bomb everyone was looking for was revealed, she would say "oooooh, da bomba."
- Icelandic speaker: Slurry. It makes me want to vomit. Also, pants.
- My mom (South Korean) thinks "bumper to bumper" is hilarious. She says it like “bumpatabumpa.”
- Hyperbola, Pythagorean theorem, segue
- Arab here. Doozy is the funniest. I'm even laughing as I type this. Just think about it. Doozy doooozy doozy doozy doozy!
- Rural. I don't even know what my tongue is supposed to do.
- I'm a native Spanish speaker and the first time I saw the word "homelessness" it blew my mind. I find difficult even to think about it. It's a weird word.
- Soliloquy, said nice and slowwww. Solllillooquyyyy
- I hate all TH Sounds. Fink about it.
- First time I arrived in states I was all like 'I love your bologna (bo-log-na)!" Until my little niece quietly said "buh-lo-nni". WTF
- Jewelry -- f*** that word
- Dutch here and mine is Worcestershire. The pronunciation is something like "Wuhstersher." Makes me laugh every time.
- German: mushy (muschi is female genitalia in German)
- Lisp... I HATE the word almost as much as the actual thing. Colonel -- have no idea how the pronunciation makes sense. “What” – it’s just an odd sound to have for a very common word.
- As a French guy, the words "scourge" and "crotch" tend to make me feel uncomfortable. No idea why.
- "Literally" is literally the worst word ever. I'm Russian. Also, one Korean guy tried to say the word "parking," but all I heard was "f***ing." He said: "F***ing is free." That was hilarious.
- Native bilingual French/English speaker here: STRENGTH. One vowel in an 8 letter word? Really?
- Polish speaker: Scuba and moose. Lol
- Italian, "Shenanigans" makes me laugh. "He/she's a keeper" makes me inexplicably angry. "Baby shower" makes me want to punch a baby.