Don’t Risk it: Stay Out of Jail
Champagne corks will be popping all over the country this weekend and with that comes some responsibility - to yourself and others. Don't get behind the wheel of a vehicle after you indulge - it's just not worth the risk.
law enforcement agencies are reminding everyone to Drive Sober Or Get Pulled Over and not let your 2011 end or New Year begin with an arrest for DUI.
Even one drink may increase the risk of a crash while driving a motor vehicle.
State, county and city law enforcement agencies throughout the country are stepping up enforcement efforts during the New Year's Holiday weekend starting 6:00 p.m., tonight through 11:59 p.m., Monday, January 2, 2012.
Law enforcement officials offer these safety tips:
* If you are planning to drink, plan ahead: designate a sober driver or arrange for a taxi to pick you up at a set time.
* If you are hosting a party, offer plenty of non-alcoholic beverages and help your guests be responsible. Don't let someone who has been drinking get behind the wheel.
* Volunteer to be a designated driver.
* Protect yourself from others - buckle up, every trip, every time.
* Drive defensively at all times.
* And remember, Drive Sober Or Get Pulled Over. If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take that person's keys and help him or her make other arrangements to get home. No one should start out the new year in a jail cell or worse kill themselves or someone else.
Happy New Year!